Welcome to Volunteer Lake County! Start Volunteering Today!
Volunteer Lake County! is a program of the Lake Area United Way designed to help connect volunteers and nonprofits throughout Lake County. Nonprofits can post their volunteer needs, and volunteers can search and sign up for a variety of projects all in one place.
Want to volunteer? Let’s get started!
First, create your account.
- Click on the “Login” button in the upper right hand corner of the page and select the “Not a Member? Register” option.
- Fill out your name, birthdate, email, and create a password. You’re birthdate is only used to verify that you are the appropriate age to volunteer for a project. For example, if the project is only open to those 21 and over then the site will automatically prevent anyone under the age of 21 from registering.
- Click Submit and you’ll be ready to start volunteering!
Second, find your project.
- You can search for projects by using the search box on the homepage.
- You can also view a complete listing of projects by clicking on the “Find an Opportunity” link under the “For Volunteers” tab.
- The “Find an Opportunity” page will show all the projects that are available on the site. You can narrow down the results by search for specific types of projects by using the search filters on the left hand side of the page.
- You can also view available opportunities in calendar form by clicking on the “Opportunity Calendar” option located in the upper left hand corner of the page.
- Clicking on the name of the project will take you to a project description page which will provide you with more details on that specific project.
Third, sign up for your project.
- At the bottom of each project description page you’ll find either a “Sign Up” or “Express Interest” box. This box will provide you with information like the location of the project, the time and date of the project, and the project coordinator’s name and email.
- If you need more information about the project simply click on the yellow envelope next to the project coordinator’s name to send them and email requesting more information.
- To register for the project click on the “Sign Up” or “Express Interest” button. A project marked as “Sign Up” means the project takes place on a specific date and at a specific time and you are registering to be there at that date and time. A project marked as “Express Interest” means the project takes place over a range of dates and times, and when you register you will be asked to specify which days and times you are available to help during that range.
- That’s it! You will receive an email confirming your registration within 10 minutes. If you do not receive a confirmation email please reach out to the project coordinator to make sure that your registration went through.
You must be logged into your account in order to register for a project. If you try to register without logging in you will be prompted to enter your username and password before you can go any further. Please note that after you have logged in you will still need to finish the registration process. You’re username will be the email address you entered when creating your account.
Want to volunteer as a team?
- Select the project you would like to volunteer for, and instead of clicking the “Sign up” or “Express Interest” button click on the link right next to it that says “Sign Up With A Team.”
- If you have already created a team, it will show up under Option 1: Choose One of Your Teams. If you want to create a new team select Option 2: Create A New Team.
- You’ll have to fill in some basic information such as the name of the team as well as the team members. You can add as many team members as you like. The age option is again only required to help keep minors from registering for projects that aren’t suitable for them.
- Once you have created your team you will still need to finish the registration process. Click on the “Click here to continue opportunity sign-up with your team” link at the bottom of your confirmation page.
- It will take you back to the page from step 2. The team you just created will now show up an option under Option 1. Select your team.
- Select which members of the team will be participating in the project.
- Click submit.
You can also create a team by clicking the “My Team” link on your account page.